No dad is perfect, but every dad is important. To be a godly father is one of the greatest aspirations and hardest challenges a man will face. On the good days as well as the hard ones, a father can make a powerful difference in the life of a child. In reality, the art of fathering is seldom taught, but best learned through example. The impact of a father’s legacy shapes generations. Get ready for Father’s Day with these inspiring quotes honoring the importance of fatherhood.
I remember the days when my young son wanted to be just like his dad. Caleb loved to slip his toddler feet into my husband’s “big-heavy” shoes, following him around the house. I can only imagine how big those shoes must have felt as he trudged from one room to the next.
Grass mowing day was a favorite time for father and son. When my husband mowed the grass, my son loved to help with his Fisher-Price pop-pop mower. Whatever my husband did, my son wanted to do as well.
“Big boy, come on, let’s go fix the porch,” my husband would say. Caleb would grab his little tool box and work alongside enjoying the time with his dad. I still chuckle about the time we Introduced our son to new friends, “This is our son, Caleb.”
Caleb piped up immediately “No, my name is Big Boy!”
I love that my husband knew just how to make our son feel special. As the years passed and we had two more children, I have watched my husband work hard, pray faithfully, and love well as he gives his all to our family. I am honored and proud to be his wife and I’m grateful for all that he does for our family. That’s why so many of these quotes warmed my heart. I have seen the truth and importance of them lived out over the past 29 years of family life.
The Value of Good Fathers
There’s so much truth to the famous sentiment that a father is a son’s first hero and a daughters first love. The value of a good father cannot be counted and is often overlooked. You can read the testimony about my father in the post A Father’s Legacy or listen to my Father’s Day Sermon honoring fathers at the end of the father’s legacy post.
This Father’s Day, celebrate the fathers in your life with quotes to inspire and appreciate the blessing of father’s who love their families well.
32 Meaningful Quotes to Celebrate Dad this Father’s Day
- “Of all the gifts a dad can give his kid, maybe the best one of all is a good example to follow.” –Joey Benevento
- “I believe that what we become depends on what our fathers teach us at odd moments, when they aren’t trying to teach us. We are formed by little scraps of wisdom.” –Umberto Eco, Foucault’s Pendulum
- “I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” —Sigmund Freud
- “A father’s smile has been known to light up a child’s entire day.” —Susan Gale
- “A good father is one of the most unsung, unpraised, unnoticed, and yet one of the most valuable assets in our society.” –Billy Graham
- “The nature of impending fatherhood is that you are doing something that you’re unqualified to do, and then you become qualified while doing it.” –John Green
- “The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother.” –Theodore Hesburgh
- “Being a father is the most important role I will ever play and if I don’t do this well, no other thing I do really matters.” –Michael Josephson
- “Every father should remember one day his son will follow his example, not his advice.” –Charles Kettering
- “The imprint of a father remains forever on the life of the child.” —Roy Lessin
- “No man stands taller than when he stoops to help a child.” –Abraham Lincoln
- “The heart of a father is the masterpiece of nature.” –Antoine François Manon Lescaut
- “Father: Respected for his wisdom. Appreciated for his strength. Admired for his love.” –Barbara Loots
- “The impression made by a father’s voice can set in motion an entire trend of life.” –Gordon MacDonald
- “Being a great father is like shaving. No matter how good you shaved today, you have to do it again tomorrow.” –Reed Markham
- “There’s no shame in fear, my father told me, what matters is how we face it.” –George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings
- “As old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes.” –Gloria Nayler
- “The greatest mark of a father is how he treats his children when no one is looking.” —Dan Pearce
- “Fathering is not something perfect men do, but something that perfects the man.” Frank Pittman
- “A man’s worth is measured by how he parents his children. What he gives them, what he keeps away from them, the lessons he teaches and the lessons he allows them to learn on their own.” —Lisa Rogers
- “The older I get, the smarter my father seems to get.” Tim Russert
- “A girl’s first true love is her father.” —Marisol Santiago
- “It is a wise father that knows his own child.” —William Shakespeare
- “Daddies don’t just love their children every now and then, it’s a love without end.” –George Strait
- “Being a good dad starts with being a good man.” —Paul Treacy
- “The greatest thing a father can do for his children is love their mother.” —Anjaneth Garcia Untalan
- “My father gave me the greatest gift anyone could ever give another person, he believed in me.” –Jim Valvano
- “My daddy, he was somewhere between God and John Wayne.” –Hank Williams, Jr.
- “A father’s love is forever imprinted on his child’s heart.” –Jennifer Williamson
- “A father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you grow.” Unknown
- “Dads are most ordinary men turned by love into heroes, adventurers, storytellers and singers of song.” —Unknown
- “A dad is his son’s first hero.” —Unknown
As you celebrate the father’s in your life, let them know how much they mean to you. Tuck one of these quotes into a card to let them know how much you care. Which one of these quotes is most meaningful to you?Show Dad how much he means to you with inspiring quotes for Father's Day. #fatherhoodquotes #dadquotes Click To Tweet
More on A Father’s Legacy
Fathers have the capacity to leave a powerful legacy for their children and the generations to come. The greatest thing that we can do beyond loving and appreciating the fathers in our lives is to pray for them. A loving and wise father makes a powerful difference in a child’s life. Everyday can be a day of gratitude for the blessing of dads in our lives.
Get More Practical Tips in the Spiritual Growth Pack
Want more practical ideas to go deeper with Jesus? I’ve just put together a Spiritual Growth Pack of tip sheets to help you cultivate a deeper life with God. This power pack is filled with ideas, prayers, and truths to help you thrive in your relationship with God, no fluff and no dilly-dallying around. Print the resource sheets to incorporate into your spiritual practices as you depend on the Holy Spirit to help you. Kit includes the following:
- Simple Ways to Cultivate a Deeper Life with God
- 30 Ways to Listen to Jesus (expanded list from this post)
- 15 Simple Ways to Overcome Distraction and Focus on God
- 10 Perspective Shifts to Free Your Heart from Fear
- Prayer to Put On the Armor of God
- Prayer for Making Decisions
- 4 Biblical Ways to Peace in Decision Making
Discover the Practical Power of Your Choices
A deeper, healthier life in Christ happens in the choices we make in the moment. Learn practical ways to live with freedom and joy to overcome perfectionism, anxiety, insecurity, self-righteousness, and negative attitudes. Are you ready to discover the difference your choices can make? (Includes a parenting chapter.)
Read the book and join the FB Holy in the Moment Community to make the most of your one holy life!Learn more about the award-winning book from Ginger Harrington. Intentional choices to trust God in the moment will change the way you live. *Contains an affiliate link at no cost to you.